It is currently Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:36 am

Welcome
Welcome to vbcf

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: What is A Right Bloody Mess Anyway
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:53 pm 
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Have thanks: 912 time
Highscores: 3
Little Wars Melbourne 2015 is over and I believe I have recovered enough to share my thoughts in a lucid manner. I ran a table to promote the forthcoming release of “A Right Bloody Mess” (ARBM) and received considerable interest. Christmas is the target for publication.

ARBM is the background for an Australian Civil War starting in 1933, pausing in ‘39 while we help with Hitler and Japanese, before hostilities kicking off again in 1945.

Based upon Western Australia seceding from the Federation following an over whelming majority supporting the action in the 1933 referendum.(The referendum and the result actually happened however, like the American Civil War, no provision existed in the constitution for a state to leave). The Northern Territory also joined WA forming the Dominion of Westralia.

WA rather than waiting for approval, just withdrew once the referendum result was known. Having spent the prior decade preparing for this eventuality they were well placed.

Victoria, in consultation with WA also intended to secede, and with five years planning was ready to act once the referendum results were known. VIC pushed things a bit further taking control of the border city of Albury, with the population's consent. This early encroachment upon New South Wales was seen as an act of aggression and sparked a desire from many of the towns in the Murray – Murrumbidgee basin to also voice their desire to join VIC.

The actions of WA, NT and VIC caught the rest of the states totally unprepared. Against the backdrop of the Great Depression, Australia’s Armed Forces had dwindled to nearly nothing, although large stockpiles of arms, ammunition and equipment existed in every state.

ARBM is Rules and Scale agnostic, the intention being to provide the starting point and background and allow gamers to make what they will of the future. ARBM provides a number of advantages for gamers:

• The conflict occurs in an environment and culture that Australian gamers know and can visualise. Since there has never been a war on our soil we rely on photos and descriptions of the landscape in any historical game. I may visit an overseas battlefield but will never really understand the environment, weather, etc. Similarly I don’t expect anyone from Europe or America to understand the red outback of WA.

• The long timeframe (1933-1939) allows for huge changes in technology and world affairs.

• Because of the large timeframe existing figures can be used or repurposed. I currently have 6mm, 15mm and 28mm forces in the works. I hold no grudge against 20mm, but I have to stop somewhere. For some of the book's artwork I am using 54mm figures as well as my own mods.

• Army lists will be provided for numerous systems, from Chain of Command, Bolt Action to Pulp Adventures.

As most of the soldiers taking part will be dressed as civilians, or wearing WW1 surplus or WW2 tailored wear armbands are worn by most forces for recognition purposes. Below are the Armbands and flags of some of the factions.

A Google Group (ARBM1933) has been created to provide a specific forum for discussion (I cast no dispersions on Lead Adventure, quite the contrary, it is a goldmine.) I also have a Blog which I will try to keep updated. ARBM1933

I have not included Communist, Nazi or Union graphics, although they will be in the book upon release.

I look forward to hearing peoples thoughts and plans.

Matthew

For more inform check out the LAF page too, link Here

Post subject: Re: What is A Right Bloody Mess Anyway
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:36 pm 
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer

Have thanks: 207 time
I'm really looking forward to this coming out.
Gives me an excuse to build up a British force from Empress Miniatures Jazz Age Imperialism range.
Ewan has been thanked by:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:27 pm 
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Have thanks: 912 time
Highscores: 3
The Author of this will hopefully be adding more but it does look very interesting.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 2:35 pm 
Major
Major

Have thanks: 243 time
Very believable, from my time in Australia I realised the States are really quite independent entities. Hopefully I'll get the book finance depending.