It is currently Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:34 pm

Welcome
Welcome to vbcf

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: 3rd Leicester Annual Military History Show
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:02 pm 
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Have thanks: 921 time
Highscores: 3
Over last weekend my club, Leicester Phat Cats, and myself put on a game at Leicester's 3rd Annual Military History Show and this was a different place to put a game on. We put on a Operation Sealion, German Invasion of Britain during the Second World War, what this I here some of you say, Germany never invaded Britain and that is true no Gerry's goosed stepped their way on British soil, yes they did, the Channel Islands, but this was a "What If" scenario.

Now their was a few things that a changed in history to make this work, namely King Edward VIII never abdicated, as per John Lambshead's book, Operation Sealion, with King Edward VIII "Inviting" the Germans into Britain and the British forces loyal to his brother Albert, later to be George VI, fighting them.

It was interesting as at "normal" wargame shows there is a geekdom with people sort of knowing and understanding what is going on but here the general public was quite surprised to see some wargames being played.

Now it is a game and thats all it is and I was quite prepared for the general banter, ribbing, mickey taking, etc but what I was not totally prepared for what the number of people who where actually interested, okay maybe not in the actually game, though some where, but actually in the actually gaming table, the houses, the scenery, the animals and the way the whole thing pulled together to make a little part of Leicestershire. In general if was a very friendly and pleasant experience and I would do it again.

Here are some, okay a lot of photo's from it

Report this post

Post subject: Re: 3rd Leicester Annual Military History Show
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:02 am 
Major
Major

Have thanks: 244 time
That's a lovely table and it is always good to get the hobby out and about. I ran a re-fight of Quatre Bras a couple of years ago at the local show and it got a lot of interest and our club puts on games at the local museum.

Well done sir.

Report this post

Post subject: Re: 3rd Leicester Annual Military History Show
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:30 pm 
Major
Major

Have thanks: 136 time
That's a great table set-up, PK. A good display game and people prepared to explain things to the general public is good for the hobby.

My blog: http://ajstable.blogspot.com/

www.smilingassassin.com

Report this post