It is currently Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:37 pm

Welcome
Welcome to vbcf

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Miners from Sloppy Jalopy Painting Log
PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 8:16 pm 
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Have thanks: 905 time
Highscores: 2
I have never done one of these before so please bare with me on this as I am not totally sure how this will work out. Its might actually be a little boring but hopefully not and it will be of interest to someone. So without further to do the painting log for Sloppy Jalopy's new Very British Civil War miners.

The figures as I have said before in the previous post are very nicely done and sculpted by Mr Matt Bickley and Mr Bill Thornhill. The casting is very sharp and clean with few mold lines which can be easily files away. The actually figures are now that I have had a good old chance to look at them up close and personally are very nice, well detailed and have a very naturally posed.

The nice thing about them, besides the look of them and there versatility is the fact that they have separate heads. Now I know that some of you will think that separate heads is a pain and figures look better with the heads sculpted with them on but these are actually very good and actually work very well. There is a nice range of different heads from Miners Hats, naturally, wouldn't be miners without Miners Hats, but also bowlers, bare heads and flat caps. I know that Sloppy Jalopy with be doing other heads including helmets, straw hats and other head wear which means that you can have a good number of variations with these and if Sloppy do other militia types, like urban wear and rural wear militias, you could have a wonderful range.

All I have done with these chaps is to pose the heads and place them on the bodies, cleaned up the old mold line or two and then glues that to bases, in my case 2 pence pieces, I love them as they have the right height and add a little weight, especially to plastic miniatures. Then I added the mixed gravelly sand mix and undercoated them in matt black spray paint, I used Wilko's BBQ and Woodstove spray paint, which is quite cheap but it does give a good finish if when you first spray it it looks to thick and all the detail has been covered and lost but once it is dried in looks rather neat.

Well thats enough of me rambling and hopefully I will have the next step, painting the skin shortly.

Have a nice day.

PK

Post subject: Re: Miners from Sloppy Jalopy Painting Log
PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:44 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

Have thanks: 264 time
Absolutely not at all boring old boy - I for one can't wait to see the next instalment!

Or come over to Facebook and share your painting, project and game photos there!
Bunker Monkey has been thanked by:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:26 am 
Major
Major

Have thanks: 304 time
I really welcome this thread; a running tutorial on how to paint well! Some of the photos look like Soviet-era statues of heroic workers.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:10 am 
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Have thanks: 40 time
Like Paul, I love the idea of a tutorial type post. It will be really handy for poor painters like me, especially as I have just ordered a couple of sets of said miners.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 4:56 pm 
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Well what with work, lucky enough to be temporary promoted to team leader, Mrs PK trying her best to fill every second of the day with going here and there I have managed to progress these Miners along a wee bit. What we are going to see is the stages on how I painted the fresh tones. Now I am no expert painter, no matter how I kid myself, but I have found, possibly the longer way to paint skin ever and you will see what I mean.

Now as I have said I am no expert when it comes to painting and I paint figures rather like I paint my illustrations which means you can see the brush strokes of the paint that I have laid down. Also I do water/thin down my paints a fair bit which allows me to layer paint on top of other to try and give it a more natural feel, not really sure that it is worth the enough though.

First off I applied a thin coat of Vallejo's Model Colour, Hull Red as the base for the skin as I want the feel of tough, hard working men with that weathered, ruddy look to the skin. I have found this to be a great colour as it keeps the luminosity of the layer that are laid down on top of it within making the other paints fight and jar against it.

Next a mixed Vallejo Game Colour, Tan, I use this colour as I cannot find a suitable colour close to tan in the Model Colour range, with the Hull Red that I used previously, and painted that over most of the skin leaving the recesses between the fingers, the eras, around the nose, the mouth in the darker base colour so to forum shadows. After this I painted the next layer using the Tan colour again on the top must areas so building the skin tone up.

The next layer I painted using Vallejo's Model Colour, Sunny Skin, mixed with a little tan and applied this to the nose, chin, cheek bones, the eye brows, ears, basically all the areas where light would hit it and then I washed the whole skin area down using Vallejo's Model Colour, Burnt Cadmium Red, to basically use the skin that glow that skin has.I have to admit I love the Burnt Cadmium Red colour as it is great for this as it gives a slight glaze to the figure.

After this I paint another layer of Sunny Skin mixed with a little Tan on top of this along the nose, cheek bones, eye brows, ears, all the areas where light hits the skin and then I highlight where pure Sunny Skin on all the above again but it lesser amounts. Once this is all done I simply paint the lips in Tan to finish off the figure.

I am not totally sure it is worth all the effort to paint the skin this way but I think that is gives a good naturally feel to the skin and in my opinion it is the part of the model that you should work the hardest on as it is the part most people look at first.

Well I hope you like that next with the painting of the clothes before I go onto the weapons and all the other bits and pieces.

Have a nice day.

PK

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:32 am 
Major
Major

Thanks for this; lots of good tips and ideas here. One thing I have realised, is that is I have spent what seems like hours filing every hint of a mould line or flash line and yet you don't seem to do that. For example, the man with the bowler hat has, in these blown up photos, a clear line of his bowler: I would be worried that this would show up in the finished figure. Is it hidden by the layers of paint, eventually? I would love to cut down on the time spent filing; the least interesting phase of our hobby.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:52 pm 
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Actually Paul I thought I had files that away, oops. Out with the files again.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:54 pm 
Major
Major

Sorry! Filing is such a chore! These blow ups really bring them out.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 6:03 pm 
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

All smoothed away now, I hope, lol

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:45 pm 
Major
Major

Have thanks: 134 time