It is currently Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:23 am

Welcome
Welcome to vbcf

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Sea Lion
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:28 pm 
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer

Have thanks: 207 time
Arrived today and perfect timing for the holiday weekend.
So along with Went The Day Well? I will have a relaxing weekend.
First glance it looks really good but will give more details when I have the chance to look at it more detail.

Attachments:
IMG_0350.JPG
IMG_0350.JPG [ 2.48 MiB | Viewed 495 times ]
Ewan has been thanked by:

Post subject: Re: Sea Lion
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:43 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

Have thanks: 271 time
How did you get it so early? I thought that they weren't sending it out until the middle of May. I really dislike BA but have ordered it as the concept really interests me (plus was a bit drunk and had a 15% discount voucher......)

Or come over to Facebook and share your painting, project and game photos there!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:52 pm 
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer

I ordered it from Speedy Hen who have always delivered early in the past, believe that the Book Depository also has it in stock.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:44 pm 
Private
Private

Have thanks: 9 time
Mines on order and by coincidence I watched WTDW yesterday.

Very interested to see what would be of most interest in the book to VBCW.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:07 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

Have thanks: 271 time
I ordered through Warlord to get the limited edition miniature so I guess that I'll be waiting! :(

Or come over to Facebook and share your painting, project and game photos there!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:32 pm 
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Have thanks: 912 time
Highscores: 3
Is it any good?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:14 pm 
Recruit

Have thanks: 1 time
Ewan wrote:
Arrived today and perfect timing for the holiday weekend.
So along with Went The Day Well? I will have a relaxing weekend.
First glance it looks really good but will give more details when I have the chance to look at it more detail.

I haven't got my copy yet!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:20 pm 
Recruit

Have thanks: 1 time
If you play Bolt Action there are quite a lot of new rules for improvised equipment and weapons suitable for VBCW or, indeed, other interwar periods. Even if you don't play BA I suppose some of the information might be useful.

I am writing a designers notes piece for WI this weekend and we plan a Sea Lion Second Front PDF for this summer. That is also underway.

As to whether It's any good, LOL. I am probably the last person to give an unbiased opinion. I sweated blood over the book. All I can say is that I am very pleased with it and hope other people find it useful.
johnlambshead has been thanked by:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:56 pm 
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer

Had a chance to look through it and here is my thoughts.

It contains a number of platoon army lists for the British from regular army through to a coastal defence platoon and an airfield defence platoon but the ones that interest me the most are the various LDV/Home Guard army lists. It also gives details of RN units, hopefully Warlord might make some RN figures.

The LDVs are broken down to Urban Militia (which includes Boy Scouts) Shire Patrol (who may be mounted) and a Water Patrol (with motorboats). It also includes a list for the Women's Federation Toxophilite Club equipped with longbows while the support team has fire arrows.

The Home Guard army list gives you the option of an Old Soldiers Volunteer section to give the unit some experience as well as Volunteer anti tank team. We also get details of Auxiliary Units (sniper and sabotage teams) as well as SIS agents.

We get Bolt Action stats for the Smith Gun, Northover Projector and Spigot Mortar (of which I saw the models for at Salute last week), details are also given for the Vickers Medium MkI/II and the various improvised armoured cars such as Beaverette.

Fortifications are covered which includes the Pickett-Hamilton Disappearing Pillbox for defence of airfields.

The Germans are given a Beach Landing army list as well as army lists for Brandenburg and Airborne Raiders. Fifth columnists are dealt with in the shape of BUF and gangsters (though the gangsters are probably more opportunist but make an interesting addition). Details and stats are given for the various invasion barges, amphibious tanks and DFS 230 assault glider.

Ten scenarios are given ranging from a coastal raid and an airborne assault to capture Lympne Airfield. There is also a scenario to kill Churchill at Chartwell. Each scenario has campaign victory points which if you play all ten scenarios lets you determine the overall winner of the campaign.

Throughout the book it is beautifully illustrated by photographs of the various figures in action, my favourites include the Home Guard receiving training on the Blacker Bombard on page 41 and the army defending a makeshift barricade on page 109.

What would have been useful is a bibliography of the various books that are available on Sea Lion, some excellent some not so good.

Overall I like the book and the various figures that are being released to support it and look forward to seeing what Sea Lion Second Front contains (any hints).

While it mentions that 'British' forces also contains Canadian and New Zealand forces it fails to mention other allied nations such as the Polish forces that were defending central Scotland (I know the book only covers Kent and the south coast so hopefully they will be covered in Second Front).
Ewan has been thanked by:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:43 pm 
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Have thanks: 912 time
Highscores: 3
I am sold and John I hope it is a wonderful success. As it stands at the moment I have ordered my copy, fingers crossed should have it soon as on the 24th June the Leicester Phat Cats, a local wargame club which I am a member are going to be doing a demo game of Sealion, an attack of Leicester, at Military History Live 2017, Leicester’s 3rd ‘Military History Live’ event on Saturday 24th June at Adult Education (Belvoir Street) is an opportunity to explore the conflicts from the past that shape our world today. Covering the last 500 years, ‘Military History Live 2017’ provides an opportunity to discover Leicester’s involvement in these conflicts, the part played by its soldiers and those left behind on the home front. A link about it here